16 May, 2006

An Evening on Manhire Street

We are sitting here in our living room with our roommates. We have a nice fire going and we are laughing about the differences of our cultures. We are also laughing very hard about the miscommunication of words and phrases too. The fire alarm just went off because the wood stove smokes more in the house than outside of it. Earlier we were breaking apart old shelves in the driveway to burn. That is what our landlord considers firewood.

We also had a long discussion about marshmellows, smores, and roasting marshmellows. Apparently they think we Americans are crazy for burning our marshmellows. That is all they see Americans doing in the movies.

I had my first photoshoot today with me holding the camera and hitting the shutter. It was a last minute deal. It was simple actually. I just had to photograph some tradeshow booths and banners that a design firm did. I of course tried too hard at first and went slow, but it all turned out well. I think it will do good to show the guys at the studio I can handle myself pretty well. I will try to snag some samples to put up on the blog.

We wish our little bedroom outside was warmer, especially when it is below freezing at night. But we really our enjoy roommates and our international house. Charisa calls it our little United Nations. Charisa's mom called last week and Timmy, the German guy, answered. She asked "Is this the German guy?" It doesn't sound too funny unless you know Charisa's mom. Good luck if you call us, you may get a German guy, a French woman or man on the phone attempting to take your message.

We are still trying to figure out if we can afford to have Charisa come home in August with me. I hope it works out.

See you in August.

mark

No comments: